Summary of role:
The role of the DevOps Engineer is very much hands-on, bridging the gap between “standard” IT operations, Cloud and developers. They will support the rest of the team in transitioning to a new CI/CD way of working with containers. The role requires someone who is enthusiastic, has expert knowledge of a wide variety of open source technologies and tools, and in particular, someone who would thrive in a technology-focused business. The DevOps Engineer is likely to use standard technologies such as Apache, and Tomcat and, introduce new cutting edge technologies such as Docker containers/Kubernetes, Logstash, Prometheus, Ansible.
- Deploying, automating, maintaining and managing AWS and MS Azure cloud-based production systems, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security of productions systems;
- Working with the existing DevOps team to design, build and maintain a CI/CD pipeline;
- To engage with the wider IT Operations teams to promote the DevOps way of working, in order to automate as many elements of the infrastructure where it is possible to do so;
- Engage with the developers to provide fast-paced development/testing environments, as well as preproduction/production release plans, via automation techniques, deploying current technologies and helping to reduce legacy technologies across the IT landscape;
- Collaborate with the Windows and Linux teams to implement script based templates and automated deployments, and incorporate them into the ‘Infrastructure as Code’ (IaC) plans;
- To assist the Level 2, Level 3 and incident management teams in the analysis, mitigation and resolution of potential problems and incidents, to recommend and implement appropriate corrective actions to reduce further reoccurrence and;
- To assist less experienced Software Developers regarding the adoption of version control, which will allow us to collaborate across the group and all teams.
Experience, skills and abilities:
- DevOps: Proven experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24x7 uptime Amazon AWS environment, including automation experience with configuration management tools;
- AWS: proven experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, ELB, EBD, S3, VPC, Glacier, IAM, CloudWatch) to develop and maintain an Amazon AWS based cloud solution, with an emphasis on best practice cloud security;
- Experience of a CI/CD pipeline process and associated toolsets;
- Working knowledge of Containerization (Docker / Kubernetes);
- Continuous integration tools - Jenkins, Bamboo;
- Scripting Skills: Strong scripting (e.g. Bash, Python);
- Good knowledge of Git for version control;
- Automation Toolsets: Terraform, Ansible, Cloud Formation or similar;
- Operating Systems: Windows and Linux system administration;
- Monitoring Tools: Experience with system monitoring tools (e.g. Site24x7, PRTG);
- Problem Solving: Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues;
- Familiarity with FOSS (Free Open Source Software) concepts, key projects and licensing;
- Excellent written documentation e.g. designs, proposals, process & procedural documentation;
- Willingness to apply themselves to the role to ensure the job gets done and;
- A positive attitude to self-development; someone who maintains an up to date knowledge of their specific field of expertise and IT in general.
Desirable Skills (beneficial to have):
- Exposure to the Microsoft Azure Cloud Platform;
- Hypervisor (VMware);
- Database Skills: Basic DB administration experience (SQL Server, MySQL and MongoDB);
- Exposure to Cloud networking & load balancing solutions (AWS DirectConnect, Azure Express Route);
- Log Management: Elasticsearch, Logstash;
- Metrics Gathering: Prometheus, Grafana;
- Any Knowledge of SAN storage technologies;
- ITIL Knowledge – ideally at least to ITIL Foundation level and;
- ISO 27001 knowledge.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in working with us. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are regrettably unable to reply to all candidates individually. We will contact you if your application has successfully progressed to the next stage of the recruitment process.